Republished from RGD Ontario
December 10, 2009
8:00 – 9:30 am
The Gladstone Hotel
214 Queen Street West, Toronto
Everything you’ve ever wanted to know about the law but were afraid to ask. Copyright/trademark, employment, contracts and commerical litigation… The list of legal territories impacting graphic designers goes on and on but getting legal advice can be expensive. Join us for this interactive Q&A with lawyers with a range of specialties from our Legal Partner Keyser Mason Ball LLP. We’ll tackle all your legal quandaries and address some you may not have even thought of!
Panelists will be:
Amy Delisle – Amy is a member of the firm’s Business Law Group. She is actively involved with clients who are buying and selling businesses and assists small and medium sized enterprises with start up and organization.
Simon Heath – Simon is a member of the firm’s management labour relations and employment law group. He provides advice and services on all aspects of employment law including compensation arrangements, employment contracts and workplace policies, workplace restructuring, wrongful dismissals, employment standards, occupational health and safety and privacy.
Patricia Szwed – Patricia is engaged in a commercial litigation practice. Her practice involves issues pertaining to general business litigation, including shareholder disputes, municipal law issues and environmental compliance issues, employment matters and construction liens and claims.
Ashlee Froese – Ashlee is a lawyer and trade-mark agent whose practice encompasses intellectual property, branding, packaging, labeling, marketing and advertising law. She assists emerging and established clients in all aspects of brand protection, including copyright, trade-marks, branding and domain name law. Some of the questions that will be answered:
- When you’re pitching a proposal/concept to a client, how do you protect your intellectual property?
- What can you do when your intellectual property is being infringed?
- What are some pro-active steps that you can take early on in a relationship to help you collect on unpaid accounts from a client?
- What can you do if a client or another that you deal with it has breached a contract with you?
- If you use a corporation to carry on business, do you still need insurance? Are you free from personal liability?
- Does a contract have to be in writing to be binding?
- What are the benefits of a written employment contract?
- How much termination pay am I entitled to at the end of employment?
- When is a restrictive covenant enforceable?
- When can I compete with my former employer in the absence of a restrictive covenant?
Submit your own confidential legal questions in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This breakfast will provide members and other designers a venue to discuss design and business issues, network, discuss the latest trends and learn from peers. This event is open to all but you must register in advance to attend, as seating is limited.
Pricing: Members: $20 + GST
Non-Members: $35 + GST
To register, email email@example.com, or call 1.888.274.3668 1.888.274.3668